- 2 lbs waxy potatoes (like Yukon gold), peeled and sliced very thin, about 1/8 inch thick
- 2 cups half and half or milk
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or Swiss cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing dish
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and liberally grease a casserole dish with butter. (About 8×12-inch works well.) Set aside.
- Add cream, garlic, potatoes, and nutmeg to a large pot and season liberally with salt and pepper. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Let cook about 10 minutes, potatoes will be slightly tender and liquid will have thickened. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Arrange potatoes in baking dish. If making ahead, cover and chill until ready to bake.
- When ready to bake, remove foil and top with grated cheese. Bake uncovered until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 25-30 minutes, longer if chilled. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!